‘It was one of many scariest moments of my life’
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (BRPROUD) — The mom of a 6-year-old woman who overdosed on THC is questioning why it’s packaged in a manner that may enchantment to youngsters.
Morgan McCoy’s 6-year-old daughter consumed 50 mg of THC — the chemical answerable for most of marijuana’s psychological results — after discovering it in a dresser.
The 6-year-old woman, who was along with her father at a pool gathering whereas visiting relations, had gone to search for her garments when she discovered the brightly coloured bundle of “hashish infused gummies.”
The gummies belonged to an in-laws’ good friend who was staying within the room the place the woman often stays throughout visits. The good friend, who was considered one of about 30 to 40 mates visiting that weekend, had put the gummies in a dresser between some garments.
McCoy, who had been visiting her sister on the time, returned to the house, the place nothing appeared out of the strange for a number of hours. Then a mum or dad instructed her that her daughter could have eaten a THC gummy.
McCoy instantly went to search for her daughter and located her mendacity down along with her eyes closed. McCoy picked her up and laid her on a sofa, and the woman “type of braced herself like she felt like she was falling,” she mentioned.
After 911 was known as, the 6-year-old started to grab, her mom mentioned.
“I grabbed her and ran outdoors and simply paced backwards and forwards ready for the ambulance to reach, crying uncontrollably and crying out to God,” McCoy mentioned.
The 6-year-old and her mother and father spent a tense evening within the hospital throughout which the woman’s “breaths per minute would drop to single digits at instances,” McCoy mentioned, including that “her coronary heart price would shoot as much as alarming ranges at others.”
“I used to be up all evening with my husband watching these machines,” McCoy mentioned. “It was one of many scariest moments of my life and I by no means need one other mum or dad to undergo that.”
The 6-year-old has since recovered and nobody was charged, however the incident has pushed McCoy to work for regulation of this market.
She mentioned she has known as native, state and nationwide leaders in an effort to forestall what she calls “firms concentrating on our youngsters with what will be lethal doses of THC.”
McCoy supplied one other instance beneath of how THC is packaged:
In distinction, she confirmed beneath what labeling may appear like if you buy THC merchandise from a pot dispensary.
Regardless of her name for extra regulation on how THC is marketed, McCoy mentioned she is in favor of the legalization, regulation and taxation of marijuana.
In line with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “a deadly overdose is unlikely, however that doesn’t imply marijuana is innocent.”
The CDC added that indicators of marijuana overuse embrace excessive confusion, anxiousness, paranoia, panic, quick coronary heart price, delusions or hallucinations, elevated blood strain, and extreme nausea or vomiting.
Leave a Reply