‘It was one of many scariest moments of my life’
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (BRPROUD) — The mom of a 6-year-old lady who overdosed on THC is questioning why it’s packaged in a method that may enchantment to kids.
Morgan McCoy’s 6-year-old daughter consumed 50 mg of THC — the chemical accountable for most of marijuana’s psychological results — after discovering it in a dresser.
The 6-year-old lady, who was together with her father at a pool gathering whereas visiting relations, had gone to search for her garments when she discovered the brightly coloured package deal of “hashish infused gummies.”
The gummies belonged to an in-laws’ pal who was staying within the room the place the lady normally stays throughout visits. The pal, who was certainly one of about 30 to 40 associates visiting that weekend, had put the gummies in a dresser between some garments.
McCoy, who had been visiting her sister on the time, returned to the house, the place nothing appeared out of the unusual for a number of hours. Then a mother or father advised her that her daughter might have eaten a THC gummy.
McCoy instantly went to search for her daughter and located her mendacity down together with her eyes closed. McCoy picked her up and laid her on a sofa, and the lady “form of braced herself like she felt like she was falling,” she mentioned.
After 911 was known as, the 6-year-old started to grab, her mom mentioned.
“I grabbed her and ran outdoors and simply paced forwards and backwards ready for the ambulance to reach, crying uncontrollably and crying out to God,” McCoy mentioned.
The 6-year-old and her mother and father spent a tense evening within the hospital throughout which the lady’s “breaths per minute would drop to single digits at occasions,” McCoy mentioned, including that “her coronary heart price would shoot as much as alarming ranges at others.”
“I used to be up all evening with my husband watching these machines,” McCoy mentioned. “It was one of many scariest moments of my life and I by no means need one other mother or father to undergo that.”
The 6-year-old has since recovered and nobody was charged, however the incident has pushed McCoy to work for regulation of this market.
She mentioned she has known as native, state and nationwide leaders in an effort to forestall what she calls “corporations concentrating on our youngsters with what could be lethal doses of THC.”
McCoy supplied one other instance beneath of how THC is packaged:
In distinction, she confirmed beneath what labeling might appear like whenever you buy THC merchandise from a pot dispensary.
Regardless of her name for extra regulation on how THC is marketed, McCoy mentioned she is in favor of the legalization, regulation and taxation of marijuana.
In response to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “a deadly overdose is unlikely, however that doesn’t imply marijuana is innocent.”
The CDC added that indicators of marijuana overuse embody excessive confusion, nervousness, paranoia, panic, quick coronary heart price, delusions or hallucinations, elevated blood strain, and extreme nausea or vomiting.