Santa Rosa, CA – June 11, 2021 – Residents of the Occidental and Camp Meeker areas are invited to take part in a County of Sonoma evacuation train that can happen on Saturday, June 19. The train is a part of a community-wide effort to arrange for wildfires and different potential disasters.
This train will present public security departments a possibility to follow alerting an space utilizing the Hello-Lo sirens and to additional check the County’s alerting system. Residents may have the chance to undergo the method of evacuating their houses and leaving their neighborhoods concurrently their neighbors.
The train will begin at 9:00 a.m. Neighbors, neighborhood teams, native regulation enforcement and fireplace companies, the Metropolis of Sebastopol and the County Division of Emergency Administration and Sheriff’s Workplace are collaborating to make the occasion doable.
Residents wishing to take part within the train should sign up to receive the SoCoAlert when the drill begins. Extra details about the train, together with maps and registration kind, might be discovered on the socoemergency.org web site.
“I encourage everybody who lives in Camp Meeker and Occidental to take part. That is as shut as you’re going to get to experiencing an actual evacuation, together with realizing what the sirens sound like,” mentioned Board of Supervisors Chair Lynda Hopkins, who represents the Fifth District. “Workouts like this are a useful alternative for residents to assist emergency managers stage one in a big space that can pose challenges if we have to evacuate it rapidly.”
The Sonoma County Division of Emergency Administration is figuring out high-priority areas throughout the County and can work with these communities to coordinate evacuation workouts. The high-priority areas face the next menace attributable to plenty of components similar to thick vegetation and restricted entry.
“Every time we maintain an evacuation train, all of us study an incredible quantity—emergency officers and first responders in addition to residents who take part,” mentioned Chris Godley, Director of Emergency Administration for Sonoma County. “Every space of the county poses totally different challenges, from vegetation to geography to street capability. That’s the reason it’s so essential that residents take part, together with signing up for SoCoAlert, connecting with their neighbors and routinely practising their evacuation routes.”
Right here’s what’s going to occur on June 19:
- On the morning of the drill, taking part residents will obtain a SoCo Alert on their cellphone saying the start of the drill and an train message. The cellphone quantity will come up as: (866) 419-5000
- Residents ought to react as if this have been an actual emergency by instantly evacuating their dwelling and going to their assigned assembly location, which will likely be on the Sebastopol Heart for the Arts, at 282 South Excessive St., Sebastopol. Indicators will likely be posted to direct contributors.
- Public security workplaces will use Hello-Lo sirens and drive by the Camp Meeker and Occidental communities alerting contributors of the beginning of the train and to start the evacuation follow.
- On the Sebastopol Heart for the Arts, contributors will likely be given a survey with common questions on their evacuation planning and the train.
- Members are welcome to hitch public security companies and organizations at Ives Park, straight adjoining to the Sebastopol Heart for the Arts, the place they’ll obtain extra preparedness info.
- Occasion officers will give transient remarks at Ives Park following the train.
If you’re a resident and wish to take part within the drill:
- Fill out the registration form online
- Registration is required with a purpose to obtain the alert for the train and totally take part (contact info you present will likely be for this train solely).
- Registration will finish at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 17.
To organize for future emergencies, all residents are inspired to sign up for SoCoAlert. Filling out the Drill Registration kind is not going to signal residents up for SoCo Alert.
An analogous train was held June 5 within the Fitch Mountain neighborhood east of Healdsburg. For extra info go to: www.socoemergency.org